Thursday, July 2, 2009

Gili Trawangan

Arrived at Gili Trawangan, off the coast of Lombok, this morning. It's a small little island, about 2km from end-to-end, and very nice, with white sand beaches and blue-green waters. I rode around the island on a bicycle today and stopped to watch a gorgeous sunset.

Tomorrow I'm going to snorkel and relax a bit.

Ever since I've come to Bali, it feels like I've left the backpacker trail and ended up in the middle of a resort. It's actually not all that great - instead of being around other interesting young people, it's a bunch of fat old Aussies and trashy party-seekers from Europe and Australia. Not exactly my crowd. And things are more expensive too. Oh well, I'm still enjoying the scenery.

I'm looking forward to going home though.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think that's because it's harder to get to?? We felt the same way about Jamaica, but I would have thought that Bali was more on the backpacker's trail. Have fun relaxing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's more that it's billed as resort destination so a lot of people come here looking to be pampered. There are backpackers too but I think they're more young vacationers traveling light with backpacks than touring around for weeks/months backpackers like other people I've met before. It's all about mindset/attitude...

    ReplyDelete