Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I like the beach



I spent today in Hoi An, which is something of a tourist trap-Disneyland ancient Vietnam experience. I had given myself a day and a half to explore the town but I had basically seen everything and was bored to tears within two hours.


Luckily, there is a great beach about 4 km from the town, so I rented a bicycle from my guesthouse and rode down there. As I rode over, I thought about how ridiculously charming this was - riding this rusty bicycle to the beach in this quaint little ancient town, passing by grazing oxen along the way. The kind of thing that my more sarcastic side would laugh at but it was great.



The beach was awesome! I waded in the ocean a bit, sprawled out on one of those reclining chairs and finished The Sun Also Rises (I am trying to read on this trip as I don't do that enough so I am glad to have already finished one book), napped, and listened to music. I must have spent four hours on that beach. It was great. I was so relaxed. I have a lot of beach time planned later in the trip so just today was enough for now.



I don't have much else to say about Hoi An except that it's this quaint little town, full of tourists and shops selling things to tourists. I think it's great for middle-aged ladies, but for me, not so much. I'm on to the next place tomorrow morning, but here are some pictures:

Also there are little doggies everywhere. Some of them are really cute!

1 comment:

  1. Bring a dog home for me!!! :) I'm with you on beach time!

    ReplyDelete